Monday, February 16, 2015

Issac Asimov video

Watching this interview with Issac Asimov brought to light two things for me. One issue as he quotes is " everyone is forced to learn the same thing at the same time on the same day at the same speed in class. And everyone is different for some it goes to fast or too slow or even in the wrong direction". When Asimov said this it jumped right in my face because it has been something that I have struggled with for the past three years of high school. I don't learn like everyone else, it takes me time and repetition in order to get something and have it locked down in my brain. But in high school most teachers are so focused on trying to get you through the curriculum that they rarely take time to stop and ask the simple question of " hey, is everyone understanding this?" And if they do ask and it happens to be infront  of the whole class you don't want to say anything out of fear that your going to look or sound stupid. In the end it just makes a student want to throw in the towl when they are putting forth the effort but not receive the attention they need to excel in a subject. That brings me to another point that Asimov hit on, the computers in your home acting as a personal tutor. Even though this video was made quite some time ago, I agree that this is something that should still definitely be sought after. One on one attention  is so critical in learning for some people that I think this would greatly improve the want to learn and the understanding of different subjects touched upon in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment